5 Best Books is a meme hosted by Cassandra at Indie Reader Houston.
This week's topic: the 5 best books based on a true story
My list, in no particular order:
- Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally. This is a novel based on the efforts of Oskar Schindler, a reluctant hero, to save the lives of hundreds of Jews in Czechoslovakia. The movie is exceptional as well.
- The Paris Wife by Paula McClain. A novel about Ernest and Hadley Hemingway and their years in Paris.
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Yes, this is non-fiction so by definition it is based on a true story; but this book reads like a novel and got me to connect emotionally to the "characters" of the story.
- Guernica: A Novel by Dave Boling. Fascinating story about the events leading up to and following the terrible attack on the Basque city during the Spanish Civil War.
- The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. Another non-fiction book, this time about Venice and a fire that destroyed its historic opera house in 1996. I frankly had no real interest in visiting Venice until I read this book.