Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The to-read shelf

Is it possible to have too many books? I don't think so, but I will give you exhibit A, my to-read shelves (yes, plural):



Last week's podcast on Books on the Nightstand talked about the immense stacks of books to be read that most (all?) bibliophiles have and if one should just cut their losses and start culling the pile.
I don't think I could get rid of any books that I haven't at least tried to read; I may get a few pages in, realize the book is not for me and then put it in the box for the library, but my logic is that I must have bought the book for a reason and should at least give it a shot.
(Of course I should also be less impulsive when I go into a bookstore, but that is probably an entire post's discussion itself).

I do want to read all of these books -- I just don't know when that will ever happen. It would be easy (easier) if I just stopped buying books altogether and stopped visiting the library, but then writers would also have to stop publishing interesting books. And I hope that never happens.

Currently Reading: The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway (from my shelf - I think I bought it in August)
Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer (borrowed from the library)
Time Regained by Proust (own it - might be on my currently reading shelf forever at the rate I'm going!)

1 comment:

  1. I have tons of books I own that I've never read yet, but I tend to just read the library books because I know they have a deadline. I lvoe the TBR shelves. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)