Monday, May 23, 2011

5 Best Books..... made into a movie


The 5 Best Books meme is hosted by Cassandra at Indie Reader Houston

  This week we are asked to list the 5 best books made into a movie.

  I have to admit that when I first saw this topic I came up blank; but as I let the topic sit and stew in my brain for the day I managed to come up with a fairly good list (if I do say so myself).  There are some on this list I read the book first, others I saw the movie first;  but for all of these both the book and the movie were excellent:

The Green Mile  This might be the only Stephen King novel I've read (I'm too much of a scaredy-cat for his other work) but I loved it and the movie was just wonderful.

Atonement The movie did a great job of capturing the mischieviousness of Briony and the heartache of Cecelia and Robbie.



The Boy in the Striped Pajamas  I'm so glad I read the book before I saw the movie, because that ending just tore my heart out and I would have embarassed myself if I reacted in the theater as I did in my house after finishing the book.


Schindler's List I read this after I saw the movie and loved the additional background the book provided.



The Pianist  Another one that I read after the movie.  Both are great, but I think in this case I may have preferred the movie.  Adrian Brody is absolutely fantastic.
 
What are your favorite book to movie adaptations?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't seen The Pianist, and I haven't read Atonement, but otherwise I know everything on your list and I agree! Great book/movie combos!

    Thanks for your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of these movies - I know!

    I did read Atonement, but I didn't like it all that much. I could imagine that the movie is more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely agree with Atonement. That is my favorite book of all time, and the movie was excellent as well. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! The Green Mile made my list as well! I haven't read any of the other books you have on your list, although I've seen a lot of the movies. Are you a fan of dark, sad books? Seems like a theme here.

    Anyway, you can check out my list of five at blookbog.wordpress.com if you'd like!

    ~Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this topic...

    Schindler's List - yes! amazing book and stunning movie.

    i would have added Lord of the Rings. and just recently i read and watched The Laramie Project, which just broke my heart, but was phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)