Friday, September 2, 2011

What's Wrong With This Picture?

  Allow me to get a bit political for a moment.

  I receive a daily political cartoon via e-mail from Slate.com (sidebar:  I did a project on political cartoons in high school and have been interested in them ever since).  Yesterday's cartoon upset me for some reason:

  Now, I am most definitely NOT a fan of Dick Cheney or his politics, but the woman's response to him irks me because this is exactly what is the problem with politics in America.  People on both sides of the fence have no desire to hear the other's viewpoint; and while certainly you can't agree with everyone on everything, I think it's also impossible to disagree with everyone on everything, and that is what is happening, if only in principle.

  Last week when I was back "home" in Canada, the Leader of the Official Opposition, Jack Layton, passed away after a battle with cancer.  He was mourned by the entire country, regardless of political leaning, and was given a state funeral.  Many people disagreed with his politics, but they all respected him.  Perhaps I'm too idealistic, but I feel that is what is lacking in US politics these days; I certainly don't think a Democrat would honor a Republican in this manner, and vice versa -- at least not in public.

  And to show I'm not a complete hypocrite:  While I had no intentions of reading Cheney's memoir, In My Time, after seeing this cartoon I went to my library's website and put a reserve on the book.  I don't know when it will be available to me, but I'll keep you posted.

*getting off my soapbox now*

4 comments:

  1. I agree with. This is the fault of the political class and the American people for being tools in their hands.

    The political class has discovered that wedging meaningless but hot topic issues (gay marriage, abortion, etc.) are the way to win the elections.

    It is also the fault of the American people because we only listen if someone is speaking in bullet points and only think in terms of good and bad/black and white - while in reality the world is full of shades of grey.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wholeheartedly agree and applaud you for making plans to read Cheney's book. There's something to learn, appreciate, or hear for every side, whether agreed with, or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the one hand, yes. On the ohter, I'm not going to read Cheney's book either. He should be at the Hague for war crimes, not bandied around like a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the toxic polarization that has occurred and continues to worsen in the U.S., but I won't be reading Cheney's memoir either. Just like I have no desire to read essays or books by John Yoo, who helped cook-up a lot of the schemes that the Bush administration ran with. Also, I completely agree with Marie that Cheney should be indicted for crimes against humanity.

    Frankly, Man of la Book has it right. The problem is that a large majority of the eligible electorate (1) doesn't vote, or (2) doesn't do their due-diligence before they vote, or (3) they just accept the soundbites that the professional politicians throw out for the media to cover.

    Call me a cynic, and maybe I am becoming one, but I am very much disillusioned by the current system we have in this country right now. I have a friend who swears that every republic needs a good revolution every two-hundred years or so. I wonder if we actually aren't ready "to throw the baby out with the bath water" now. Very thought-provoking posting, and good luck with your reading of the memoir. Cheers! Chris

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)