Saturday, November 21, 2009

South Asian Literary Challenge

One of the new things I've learned from seeing all of the book blogs out there is that there are a ton of reading challenges. I arrived too late to the party to participate in most of the 2009 challenges, but I am looking to get involved in a few for 2010. The first one I am committing to participating in is the South Asian Author Challenge, hosted by s.krishnas books . This challenge involves books set in South Asian by writers of South Asian descent.
I am committing to reading three books for this challenge, though I think I can probably read more. I enjoy reading novels set in this region, India specifically - A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry is one of my favorite books of all time. I have this latent desire to visit India one day, but I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to face the reality of India; reading about it is for now the way I am able to experience this complex and beautiful country.
I have one book on my to-read pile that is perfect for this challenge - Between the Assassinations by Aravind Adiga. I can't wait to find more - I sure wish that Rohinton Mistry would come out with a new novel soon.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to book blogging! :) I think I'll probably join this challenge too-just need to put my list together. I want to visit India some day as well, although I worry about it just like you! I think I'll take a big guy with me, lol. I haven't heard of Between the Assassinations, but I'm off to find out more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eva.
    Aravind Adiga also wrote The White Tiger, which won the Booker Prize last year. That is a novel, where I believe Between the Assassinations is a collection of related short stories.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)