Wednesday, January 18, 2012

bibliosue's bibliotherapy

So I've been off of the radar for about a week but I'm back! (did you miss me?)

My day job has been driving me (more) crazy the last month or so and unfortunately it has meant that the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit in front of the computer.  And I've missed it, which is I think a good sign. 

Now that things at work have calmed down (a bit) and I've returned from an mood-lifting weekend in Toronto with my 2 year old nieces and 8 week old nephew I'm ready to get back in the saddle.  While in Toronto, I took some time out to visit The World's Biggest Bookstore and, well, damage was done.  This is the pile I came home with:



Canadian Pie by Will Ferguson
1000 Years of Annoying the French by Stephen Clarke
How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less by Sarah Glidden (graphic novel)
Winter:  Five Windows on the Season by Adam Gopnik
Madame Proust and the Kosher Kitchen by Kate Taylor
Why I Hate Canadians by Will Ferguson (full disclosure:  I am Canadian, eh?)
Concerto to the Memory of an Angel by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Ulysse from Bagdad by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Odette Toulemonde et autres histoires by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt

Ok yes, I did load up on the Schmitt titles, but two of these are in French and given my improving though basic ability in the language will take me a while to read; Odette Toulemonde is the original French version of The Most Beautiful Book in the World which was one of my favorites of 2011 (reviewed here).  And only some of these were impulse purchases -- I did actually go into the store with a list of what I wanted to purchase, the others just "found" their way onto the stack.

I am about halfway through Madame Proust and am loving it -- if you are able to find it please do pick it up because I would love to discuss it with someone.  When I'm done I'll definitely be writing about it if you need an extra push to hunt it down (really, it is a tricky book to find).











2 comments:

  1. Oh, all of these look great, and some of them have amazing titles! 1000 Years of Annoying the French? Hilarious! I can't wait to hear you talk about all of these! Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any interest in being an experimental subject for my bibliotherapy project?
    Lorebrarian@gmail.com http://readersanonymous.blogspot.com Looks like you would be a good candidate.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)