Saturday, October 2, 2010

October's Reading List

    For Reading Groups:
                 Emma by Jane Austen
                 Where Men Win Glory:  The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer (I've already read this, so I'm not sure if I will re-read)
                 The Island at the Center of the World by Russel Shorto

    Other:
                 Anton Chekhov:  Early Short Stories 1883-1888 (I received a book for review called Celebrity Chekhov by Ben Greenman and since I've not read any Chekhov stories I thought I'd better start with them)
                 Parrot & Olivier in America by Peter Carey
                 The Debba by Avner Mandelman

   I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I'm really going to try hard to not buy books this month.  I don't know when I'll have time to finish all of the books I already own, so I need to seriously work down that pile first.  People -- hold me accountable!
   

8 comments:

  1. I just don't know if I could ever stop myself from buying a book -- what I end up doing is collect a list of all the books I want to read, then I go to the store and get several all at once! I might as well just get them as I go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to do the same thing. But it is so hard, especially when you see all the good reviews of other books from other blogs! (i.e I wasn;t planning on reading Freedom either, but just like you, I did too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoy Emma! I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice but keep getting sidetracked. Don't feel bad about buying too many books unless it's seriously breaking your bank. Justify it this way: "There are worst things I could buy than books" :oD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah -- people tell me that book buying is not the worst problem in the world, and I agree; but it's just the problem of being able to read them all. I have hardcover copies on my tbr shelf that haven't been read and the paperback edition has already been released -- a sign that I need to slow down on the purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and BookQuoter -- I abandoned Freedom. I couldn't get into it at all. I hope you have better luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice reading list for October! I hope you enjoy "Emma." I have always considered it to be Austen's perfectly written novel. She is the consummate craftsman with this one. It is like peeling an onion too, there are layers and layers of things going on in that novel. Very clever.

    I would like to see how many months I could go without buying a book, as my TBR is completely out-of-control. We'd probably hurt the economy though if we quit buying books. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Suzanne! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's true, Christopher -- how sad would the state of the economy be if us bookaholics stopped buying books?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed Chekhov's stories when I read them a few years ago. I hope you get to some of them this month!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)