The 5 Best Books meme is hosted by Cassandra at Indie Reader Houston.
This week's list: the 5 Best Books with a Female Protagonist
My choices are, in no particular order:
- The Millennium Trilogy (especially The Girl Who Played With Fire) by Stieg Larsson. Lisbeth Salander is one girl who you don't want to upset.
- The Book of Negroes (Someone Knows My Name) by Lawrence Hill. I still cannot believe how well Hill created such a fabulous female character in Aminata Diallo
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny are three of the strongest women I've ever read about.
- Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore. Catherine Grace Cline is a young girl forced to be wise beyond her years.
- A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka. The stories of Anielica and her granddaughter Beata are at times hard to read but exemplify their strength in the changing atmosphere of Krakow.