Sunday, April 17, 2011

5 Best Books ... with a female protagonist


  The 5 Best Books meme is hosted by Cassandra at Indie Reader Houston.

 
  This week's list:  the 5 Best Books with a Female Protagonist

  My choices are, in no particular order:

  1. The Millennium Trilogy (especially The Girl Who Played With Fire)  by Stieg Larsson.  Lisbeth Salander is one girl who you don't want to upset.
  2. The Book of Negroes (Someone Knows My Name) by Lawrence Hill.  I still cannot believe how well Hill created such a fabulous female character in Aminata Diallo
  3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny are three of the strongest women I've ever read about. 
  4. Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore.  Catherine Grace Cline is a young girl forced to be wise beyond her years.
  5. A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka.  The stories of Anielica and her granddaughter Beata are at times hard to read but exemplify their strength in the changing atmosphere of Krakow.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I haven't ready any of these yet. The only that I'm familiar with is the Millenium Trilogy, which I haven't tried out yet. Saving it for summer when I theoretically will have some free time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can 100% agree with you on the first 3, and I haven't read the other 2 (yet, #5 is on my list).

    I will try and find some other great books when I do this meme (later in the week).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing a lot lately about The Book of Negroes. Need to look that one up!

    Just finished The Help and agree that all three of the women are great protagonists! Wished that book just went on and on.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)