Monday, April 19, 2010

It's Monday -- What are you Reading

I'm on a meme roll ....


This is my first post for What are You Reading -  hosted by Sheila - an opportunity to let everyone (or, at least those who are reading my blog!) know what I've read in the past week and what is on tap for the coming week.
This is my book club week, where I have two of my three groups meeting on Monday and Wednesday.  Although I might not be able to make it to tonight's discussion because I'm a bit under the weather, I did finish a re-read of After You've Gone by Jeffrey Lent last week.  Wednesday's book group is a classics group and we will be discussing Crime and Punishment; I still have about eighty pages left so I'll be working on this in between coughing and sneezing attacks.

Other books I finished last week were:
       The Widow Clicquot:  The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It, by Tilar J. Mazzeo
       All Other Nights, by Dara Horn

Other books I am reading this week:
       Small Island by Andrea Levy - a re-read
       The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - another re-read for an upcoming post on the Classics Circuit's Golden Age of Detective Fiction Tour
        Tinkers by Paul Harding

What are you reading this week?


7 comments:

  1. Oh I did so enjoy The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, then again I adore Agatha Christie's novels. I have heard good things about Tinkers and look forward to your thoughts. Happy reading! My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll be interested to see what you think of Tinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Widow Clicquot sounds very good. I love nonfiction books about strong females. Are you planning on reviewing it cause I am wondering if it's sensationalized or more straightforward?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosalia -- I'm working on a review of The Widow Clicquot right now and hope to have it up soon (thanks for the gentle reminder!)

    Jennifer -- I can't remember when I read Roger Ackroyd the first time but I was (much) younger and I don't think I was able to appreciate the wit of Agatha Christie's writing (and, of course, now I see all of the clues pointing to the murderer!)

    "Little Reader" - I will let you know about Tinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved the murder of roger ackroyd! i first read it when i was very young and the ending was a total shock. you are right, when i reread it much later it was more witty but less shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeay for Crime and Punishment!! I've redecided on this reread that it's one of my favorite books...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a couple days (after flying back home Monday afternoon and getting caught up) but I am here! :) I have not heard of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)