Friday, September 3, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday

 

  Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

  My beginning this week is from The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise by Julia Stuart:

Standing on the battlements in his pajamas, Balthazar Jones looked out across the Thames where Henry III's polar bear had once fished for salmon while tied to a rope. 

  To me, this gives a sense of the quirkiness of the novel.  I'm about halfway through and enjoying it -- it's definitely quirky, with characters who have very distinct personalities and a historic setting that gives us a peek behind the scenes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)