Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday

 

  Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

  My beginning this week comes from Gratitude by Joseph Kertes:

Lili crouched behind a wardrobe, dressed in a wedding gown.

  This simple sentence creates a number of questions:  Why is she crouched behind the wardrobe?  Why is she dressed in a wedding gown?  As the novel is set in WWII-era Hungary one can make assumptions of what has happened or is about to happen. 

3 comments:

  1. I love it. I haven't heard of this book but I think it sounds really interesting. The opener is definitely a good one. I am so pleased that you have still done a Book Beginnings post. I hope to bring it back next week. I hope you saw your lights camera blog action post as well. thanks for participating

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)