Tuesday, June 28, 2011

French Lessons by Ellen Sussman


French Lessons by Ellen Sussman
Published:  2011 by Ballantine Books
Source:  Received from publisher for review

  Regular visitors to this blog know that I have an affinity for Paris.  When I was offered the chance to review the novel, French Lessons, with its premise of three Americans seeing Paris and learning French, I jumped at it and couldn't wait to fall in love with the story.

  Alas, this love was not meant to be.

  Instead of a novel about learning French and experiencing the life of a Parisian, I found a novel about a woman unable to get over the death of her (married) lover, an expat wife seemingly wishing she were anywhere else but Paris (I know -- really?) and a man uncomfortable with the celebrity lifestyle of his actress wife; in addition to the troubles of their French tutors .  While not a problem, necessarily, it just was not the story I was looking for.  I wanted to experience Paris with these people, seeing how or if the French language practice enhanced it for them. 

  For what it is, I guess it is not a bad novel, it just was not for me.  However, it did make me want to look into hiring a French tutor the next time I visit Paris, so something good did come out of it after all.

3 comments:

  1. Have you read True Pleasures, by Lucinda Holdforth? It's non-fiction, but it's all about women in Paris. I found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope I feel differently about this one than you do, as I have this one up for review soon. I can understand why you had a problem with it though, as it sounds like it was totally not what you had been expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, i had seen this one and after watching the author's video clip, i passed on it. i think i would have had a similar reaction to you. bummer that it didn't work out...

    i haven't read it, but the book mentioned by softdrink above (True Pleasures) does sound really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)