Monday, July 5, 2010

It's Monday - What are you Reading?

 


  It's Monday - What are you Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at bookjourney to allow us to share with others in the book-loving cyberworld what is on our reading plates.

  I finished the following books this week:
              Almost Dead by Assaf Gavron
              Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

 Books (still!) in progress:
             Ulysses by James Joyce (though I'm 1/4 of the way done - woo hoo)
             Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
  also     The Fatal Englishman:  Three Short Lives by Sebastian Faulks, proof that I should not go shopping for books on my new nook when I'm bored (I'm really enjoying it, though)

Book I did not finish:
             The Story of My Life by Helen Keller - I read the autobiography portion of the book but couldn't get through all of the letters and other additional material before I had to return it to the library.  It was a very interesting story though and made for a great discussion

I'm not sure what I'm going to read this week -- I feel like I should read something light I don't have anything on the shelf right now that applies -- one of the problems with having so many books to choose from is that I am sometimes paralyzed with indecision on what to read next ....

What are you reading this week?

4 comments:

  1. Did you like Major Pettigrew? I had mixed feelings about it. I liked it, but think it shouldn't have had the sex. And the whole suicide thing of the other character... Just strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad ayou ran out of time withthe Helen Keller book. You had a pretty good reading week - enjoy this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how are you coming along with Midnight's Children?? i'm struggling a bit, but i'll get there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa (Bluestalking) -- I LOVED Major Pettigrew. It's one of my favorite novels this year. I enjoyed the contrast between old and new England (I actually thought of you while reading this, remembering that you are an Anglophile!)

    lisa (little reader) -- I just finished Part II of Midnight's Children and it's getting weirder if that's possible. It's interesting though.

    Sheila -- I'm sorry I didn't have time to finish the entire book as well. Maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)