Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

  So I just returned from a quick visit up to my hometown of Winnipeg to visit with family and friends and to celebrate my xxth birthday with my niece Ryane who turned four on the same day.  I also had the chance to sneak out on my own and visit the bookstore, to pick up some birthday presents for myself:


  I found that I needed to stock up on some Canadian books for the Canadian Book Challenge, and since I'm ashamed to admit I have not read any Margaret Laurence novels, I picked up two of her best known, along with a novel by another great Canadian author, Gabrielle Roy (I think I may have been assigned part of the French version of The Road Past Altamont in university).  The Bishop's Man won last year's Giller Prize, and was conveniently just released in paperback, and Good to a Fault was one of this year's Canada Reads selections.  King John of Canada seemed to have a funny premise and was on the clearance table, so I thought I'd give it a go.
  
  And yes, I know that The Slap is not a Canadian book, but it has been on my to-read list for some time and honestly I haven't seen it anywhere in the stores here so I picked it up.  It is on the long-list for this year's Man Booker Prize, and I am attempting to read at least some of them before the winner is announced.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Looks like you celebrated in style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! You got some nice books there, I think. I actually also bought The Slap last week. You can read all about it on http://leeswammes.wordpress.com

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Great presents.
    Wonder how you will like The Slap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reading and Happy Belated Birthday! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!!
    Bobbie
    http://tilwereadagain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the birthday wishes.
    I'm looking forward to digging into this pile

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)