Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Man in Uniform


A Man in Uniform by Kate Taylor
Published:  2010 by Crown Publishers
Source:  Borrowed from the library


  Francois Dubon is a relatively successful lawyer in Paris, has a wife with the "right" social connections, and a mistress on the side.  One day, a woman in widow's mourning comes into his office and, acting on behalf of a "friend", asks him to prove the innocence of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a French military officer (who is Jewish) convicted and imprisoned for espionage.

  The Dreyfus Affair, as it is known, is one of the most scandalous events in France's history.  Mixing real-life personalities with her characters, Kate Taylor has created a suspenseful novel about events in the latter stage of this period; so that even though we know how events really turn out, the reader isn't always quite sure if Dreyfus will be exonerated.

  Once again I loved the descriptions of Paris -- this time of the late 1800s -- and enjoyed learning more about this period of France's history and how it affected life and society during that time.

Recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I know little about the scandal that this book addresses, but it sounds as if there is a lot of meat in this novel to bite into and form an opinion on. I really liked your thoughts on it and I will have to think about seeing if I can get this one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviewing this novel. I've read a little bit about the Dreyfus Affair and it's always fascinated me. I had no idea this novel existed. Thanks to you, I'm putting this on my TBR. Thanks !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)