Sunday, October 23, 2011

What Should I Read in November?

  It's time once again for you to help me decide what books I should take off of my overwhelming to-read shelves and read right away.

  Last month I was so pleased with your fiction choice, Cutting for Stone, that I can't wait to find out what fiction you will pick for me to read in November.  The options are three new releases that I've heard good things about and which are sitting patiently on my shelf:

  1. On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry
  2. When She Woke by Hillary Jordan
  3. The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
  I still have not started October's non-fiction pick, Carrots 'n' Cake, but I still have a week left in the month and it's not a long book. Here are the non-fiction options for Novembe
  1. In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
  2. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen
  3. The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande
  Voting will be open until Sunday, October 30.

5 comments:

  1. All six of your choices look interesting. I went with the new Ondaatje, and I couldn't resist the look at prewar Berlin with the Larson book. Happy reading! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about most of the books. BUT I read two other Gawande books and LOVED them. Definitely go with the Gawande one. I haven't heard of it but it sounds good from what i just looked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Difficult! I voted for Sebastian Barry because I loved The Secret Scripture and looking forward to reading this one.

    And Mennonite in a Little Black Dress appeals most from the non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know any of these books, but I have Sebastian Barry's new one on my wishlist.
    I do like his writing

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, and think that you would like that one too! I also choose When She Woke, as it's one that I want to read soon!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)