Monday, December 13, 2010

It's Monday -- What are you Reading?

 
  It's Monday - What are you Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at bookjourney to allow us to share with others in the book-loving cyberworld what is on our reading plates.


  This week I finished one book:  Crossing the Heart of Africa by Julian Smith, which I will be reviewing later this week.

  Books in Progress:
  • The Best European Fiction 2010 edited by Aleksandar Hemon (I'm dipping in and out of it as I have time, some of the stories so far are really good, others just aren't my cup of tea)
  • War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  I am quite impressed with my progress so far with War & Peace.  I am on page 595 and so far am ahead of my 160 page/week pace.  Unlike other long classics I've attempted recently (Ulysses and Proust's In Search of Lost Time), this novel is easier to follow and one that I can read pretty much anywhere.  And it is very enjoyable.

  This week I also prepared my reading lists for three challenges in 2011:  What's in a Name Challenge 4, Back to the Classics Challenge, and the TBR Pile Challenge.  With only one exception, which I can pick up at the library, these books will be from my to-read shelves.  There are a few more challenges that I might join, but I need to give it some more thought.

  What are you reading this week?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't realise you were also reading Crossing the Heart of Africa! I read it too last week and will review later this week.

    Oh, challenges! It's getting hopeless, I've got so many planned. Maybe I'll drop them all. Or some. Or none. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard some wonderful things about The Best European Fiction so looking forward to reading your thoughts on that! Here's my Mailbox: Coffee and a Book Chick -- Mailbox Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ulysses and Proust's books take a good deal of concentration. For Proust I can only manage 30 pages a week.

    I was sick over the weekend but I got some reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I am a little late, but I love these posts. I always love to see what everybody else is reading. Gives me so many ideas of books I want to add to my to-read list. I am reading "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)