Friday, July 30, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday


  Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

  My sentence this week comes from The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender:

It happened for the first time on a Tuesday afternoon, a warm spring day in the flatlands near Hollywood, a light breeze moving east from the ocean and stirring the black-eyed pansy petals newly planted in our flower boxes.

    This sentence does make you want to read further -- what first happened that Tuesday afternoon? -- and it also gives a very pleasant description of the (initial) setting.  I haven't gotten further than this yet but I'm looking forward to reading more.

2 comments:

  1. I agree - I do think it makes you want to read further along with that title. I've never considered a Lemon Cake as being sad before. I look forward to your review when you finish this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Its very sensual, lots of imagery. Seems very peaceful. I love long sentences like that too!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)