Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - A re-read


  I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society in one afternoon not long after it was published and I just adored it.  A novel of the correspondence primarily between writer Juliet Ashton and residents on the island of Guernsey not long after the end of the Second World War, I felt so attached to all of the characters and did not want to let them go. 
  One of my book groups is reading this for our next discussion, so I picked it up again to refamiliarize myself with the story and it took me a bit longer to read (a day!) but I believe that I now love this book even more. 
  The authors - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - made such a wonderful story of surviving during war, and of the immense effect of reading, along with creating the wonderful characters (even crankypants Adelaide Addison (Miss)).  When I closed the book for the second time the same warm, comforting feeling came over me. 
   This book has become one of my all-time favorites and if you haven't already picked it up, I highly encourage you to do so.

1 comment:

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)