Friday, November 19, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday


Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme created by Becky at Page Turners, and is now hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

My beginning this week comes from Purge, by Sofi Oksanen:


Aliide Truu stared at the fly, and the fly stared back.


  To me, this sentence does not have a lot of bearing on the storyline of the novel, but it does foreshadow the large presence of flies and other insects in the narrative (really -- was Estonia that overrun by bugs?). 

  I'm about halfway through the novel and it's a good story, but for anyone interested in reading it I don't recommend it while eating .... the bugs seem to be most prevalent in the kitchen.

5 comments:

  1. Ewww, lots of bugs? Sounds like a bit of a dark book. On your goodreads shelf (in the side bar) I see the book has a dark cover but looks quite innocent (I judge by the cover). Enjoy the book!

    http://leeswammes.wordpress.com
    Leeswammes (Judith)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of flies! LOL

    I'm now curious as to what significance they will have on the story.

    Here's mine:

    (click my name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, lots of bugs (particularly flies)? Yech! Glad it's good, though!

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-beginnings-on-friday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith -- The book is anything but innocent! It's getting quite disturbing now. I might have to put it down for a while.

    Laurel -- I'm still trying to figure out what significance the flies have because they do appear a lot and I have to thing they are a symbol for something.

    Bev -- I am struggling with it now, as I mentioned above I might have to move on to something lighter for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Interesting. I don't particularly love the idea of bugs staring at me.

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)