Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday -- Books Evoking Strong Emotions


The meme Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish

  I haven't participated in this meme in a while but this week's topic -- Ten Books that caused a strong emotional reaction -- got me thinking, so here is my list, in no particular order:

  1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  There were several times in the book where I felt like I was punched in the gut. 
  2. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne.  I closed the book, thought for a minute, and just sobbed.
  3. The Department of Lost & Found by Allison Winn Scotch.  I read this not long after my dad was diagnosed with cancer, and of course the story wasn't exactly the same but many parts of it hit home for me (ps Dad's been in remission for 3 years!  Woot!)
  4. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender.  I find it hard to say I hated a book, but this one comes really close.  There came a point where I wanted to throw it against the wall because to me it got too unbelievable.
  5. I'll Mature When I'm Dead by Dave Barry.  His essay about getting a colonoscopy is hysterical, especially if you have gone through one yourself.  I laughed so hard I cried, both reading it the first time and reading it to my husband.  (The vasectomy piece is also very funny).
  6. Room by Emma Donoghue.  Who wouldn't have an emotional reaction to what Jack and his "ma" had to endure, both in and out of the room?
  7. How to Be A Canadian by Will & Ian Ferguson.  A very funny book about all of those quirky things that make Canadians (even expats like me) the way they are.
  8. Mudbound by Hillary Jordan and The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Both of these books made me mad at the injustices Black Americans suffered in the not-so-recent past. 
  9. The Ominvore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.  These books, in different ways, changed the way I think about food and put me on the road to becoming a vegetarian.
 

4 comments:

  1. Great choices. I've read several from your list and they also provoked strong emotions in me. Have you ever read Sarah's Key?
    That one will be on my list as well.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Sarah's Key! Parts of that book definitely affected me emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read a lot of these books, but I do agree with the choices on this list that I have read. Room was one of the best books I read last year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kite Runner made my list but have to yet read the others (have watched the movie Fast Food Nation and can understand why you have the book here! and would love to read Dave Barry).. Do check out my list when you can

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)