Thursday, September 16, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday


  Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

  My beginning this week comes from Room by Emma Donoghue:

Today I'm five.

  Such a short sentence, but those three words tell the reader that the narrator of the story is a child.  As I'm almost finished with this truly amazing novel, I can also say that this simplicity is present throughout the book yet it seems that each word is chosen to pack an emotional punch.

8 comments:

  1. I purchased it for my nook, otherwise I'd be giving it out to everyone I know. It might very well be my favorite book (so far) this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just spent half a day with 20 5 year olds, 20 hair pulling and biting, 5 year olds. Perhaps this is a book I will consider after the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've been wanting to read this one! Thanks for sharing....

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/friday-memes-56-and-book-beginnings-4/

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this one looks good! I just added it to my TBR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Room is getting a great many positive reviews and is a book I hope to read soon.

    Very simple but effective first line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it, it is a very brave way to start off a book

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)