Monday, September 27, 2010

It's Monday -- What are you Reading?


  It's Monday - What are you Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at bookjourney to allow us to share with others in the book-loving cyberworld what is on our reading plates.

  This week I finished the following books:
 bup bup bup bahh  
  • ULYSSES!!!!!!   I finished the d*$n thing.  (watch for final Ulysses Wednesday post this week)
 
  Books in progress:
  • Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (Yeah, I jumped on the bandwagon.  I couldn't get through The Corrections though so we'll see how this one fares)
  • The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (a re-read for my non-fiction book group at the library)

  I should probably start Emma by Jane Austen (for my classics book group) this week as well.

  I mentioned last week that I'm taking a French class on Saturdays; I don't know if I mentioned that it is in downtown Chicago.  Anyways, I'm too much of a wussy driver so I take the train (80 minutes of reading time each way!)  and with the schedule I get into the city with some extra time to kill.  I usually stop in at a Starbucks (if I can find one ha ha) but the one I went to had limited seating so I took my coffee and started walking to The Alliance Francaise, planning to just go in early and review (have I mentioned I'm a nerd).  But then I thought "Hey the Newberry Library is just a few more blocks and I can check out their bookstore".  So I did -- and I bought a few books (four to be exact, my name is Suzanne and I'm a bookaholic) and since one of them was one of their "featured" titles I got to pick a wrapped book for free (the bookseller said that they were ARCs and promotional copies they receive from publishers).  It was pretty exciting to get home (who am I kidding, I opened it when I got to my French class) to find out what it was  -- and it was Boardwalk Empire by Nelson Johnson, not a book I've heard about but it is the story (the good and bad of Atlantic City) upon which the new HBO series is based.  Kind of a neat little surprise.

What are you reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. Oh, you finished Ulysses! Well done!

    I like it how the book shop hands out wrapped books! And how's your French coming along? Parlez-vous un peu yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on Ulysses! I loved the Geography of Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hip hip hooray, Suzanne -- on finishing Ulysses. I'm proud of you.

    Freedom is on its way to me as part of Powell's bookstore's Indiespensable program, so we'll have to compare notes!

    bonne semaine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing Ulysses! I've read it...all I've got to say about it is "glad that's over." Here's my Monday: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored both Ulysses and Emma. Emma is delightful, enjoy! Have a great week reading. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on finishing ULYSSES! And how fun to get 80 minutes of reading time each way to down town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for the Ulysses congrats!

    leeswammes -- Oui, je peux parler un peu; je voudrais ameliorer ma comprehension.
    Heather -- I loved Geography of Bliss as well, and I'm loving the re-read
    Nancy0 -- Well, I gave up on Freedom after about 20 pages. It did absolutely nothing for me; I hope you have better luck with it.
    Bev -- I had the exact same reaction when I turned the last page of Ulysses!
    Jennifer -- I'm looking forward to Emma; I'm impressed that you adored Ulysses, it doesn't seem to be a book that welcomes adoration.
    Rebecca -- Thankfully the cars I've been sitting in have been quiet for the most part so it is really nice to get some reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the comment after Ulysses! I laughed :)

    My book club is reading The Bell Jar for our classic choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are re-reading the Geography of Bliss since I just bought it! Glad to know it's so good :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)