Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ulysses Wednesday #12


Welcome to Ulysses Wednesday, where I track my progress reading James Joyce's tale of a day in the life of Leopold Bloom.


Status: page 613 of 783
 
   Ok, I've FINALLY finished the play within the novel.  Way weird, and when this section started I thought it would be easier to follow.  The ghost of Stephen's mother appears, telling him to repent or face God's wrath; while he cowers.  I really must have what he's having.  Also some conflict between the English military presence and the Irish (with f-bombs a plenty - I can see how 1920s society would have been "scandalized).
 
   At any rate, it's the home stretch -- three quarters of the way through and I'm still alive to tell about it.  Which is good because (segue) I just heard about another blogger - Isaac at The Tower of Stories - who is beginning a monthly discussion of Ulysses and since he's read it before I am sure that he will a lot more articulate and informative about the book than I've been and I look forward to reading his thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!


    "Prolonged applause. Venetian masts, maypoles and festal arches spring up. A streamer bearing the legends Cead Mille Failte and Mah Ttob Melek Israel spans the street. All the windows are thronged with sightseers, chiefly ladies. Along the route the regiments of the royal Dublin Fusiliers, the Kings Own Scottish Boraerers, the Cameron Highlanders and the Welsh Fusiliers, standing to attention, keep back the crowd. Boys from High school are perched on the lampposts, telegraph poles, windowsills, cornices, gutters, chimneypots, railings, rainspouts, whistling and cheering...."

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so impressed with your commitment to reading and posting your thoughts on this. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed -- I'm scheduling the festivities for when I finish the book, trust me!

    lisa -- thank you for the kind words. it has been a struggle, but I am attempting to keep myself disciplined to what I set out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Rosh HaShanah to you and Bloom!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)