Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ulysses Wednesday #13


  Welcome to Ulysses Wednesday, where I track my progress reading James Joyce's tale of a day in the life of Leopold Bloom.


  Status: page 650 of 783

  This week's slow pace is attributed to the fact that I essentially re-read 20-30 pages twice.  Bloom and Stephen are stumbling about in the streets after the bar, at first trying to find transportation but then they end up in an after hours place full of Italian sailors.  One of them remembers Stephen's father, Simon, but Stephen seems to me reluctant to acknowledge the connection.  I get a sense that I should have read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man first because Stephen is playing a larger role in the novel than I thought.

  I still plan on finishing by the end of the month, but I'll need to pick up the pace just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Good or bad, I'd love to hear from you (but be nice - I'm sensitive!)